Thursday, March 6, 2014

Creating R packages in Mavericks (OS X)

Creating R packages in Mac is very simple. When I first created the TeachingSampling R package in Windows, it was such a trek. I remember that I had to install a lot of apps in order to compile the library.


Well, times have changed and right now I am a Mac user. Actually, one of the reasons why I delay the decision about migrating from Window to Mac was my fear about the complexity of updating my TeachingSampling library in Mac. If I would have known that in Mac this process was a 500% easier, my decision would have been faster.


These videos will show you how to create R package in a nutshell.


[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5TvxbtMZKg?rel=0] [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX5_6L991CQ?rel=0] [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCQHmPXax8]


However, the last version of OSX (Mavericks), comes with new stuff and, of course, some files are not where they used to be in Mountain Lion. The only one problem I experienced while updating my library was the following error message in the terminal that keep off the creation of the .tar.gz file.



Checking for any extra files in built .tar.gz file. sh: /usr/bin/gnutar: No such file or directory

After some search, I realised that if you are experiencing such an issue the solution is very very easy. Just open your terminal and write the following code:


sudo ln -s /usr/bin/tar /usr/bin/gnutar


After writing that code, follow the normal procedure. That’s it. Enjoy your Mac and enjoy R!

No comments:

Post a Comment